Finally we have finished Palm OS port of the Archibald’s Adventures game. Few weeks ago I was decided not to bother with the Palm OS platform, although the game’s engine was 90% Palm OS ready. The game was randomly crashing on my Palm Tungsten E and if you have been ever developing for Palm OS, you know that debugging is really painful. Also the life of the Palm OS platform seems to be at its end.
But once we finished the Pocket PC version of the game, I thought to myself that it would be shame not to invest few more days into finishing the Palm OS version. More than two years ago when I’ve got first idea about the game, having fresh new Tungsten E in my pocket, I was eager to make some game for it. So at the beginning the game was aimed mainly for Palm OS, with intention of porting it to Pocket PC platform later. But things often don’t go as intended.
Initial graphic concept of the game
Because development for Palm OS wasn’t really easy (everybody was waiting for Palm OS 6 and for easy way of making fully ARM native application – which sad to say never happened), we decided to re-aim the game for PC, Mac and Pocket PC, letting the Palm OS version stuck in “we will see later” state.
So with Pocket PC version completed, I have decided to give the Palm OS one more try. We don’t expect many (any?) sales here. Finishing the game for Palm OS was just more a matter of making it done and beating the problems with the plaftorm than anything else
So we hope there will be at least few people who will enjoy the game on the Palm OS, even if the requirements of the game are relative high.
Also note that the Palm OS version of the game has all features included, no feature was stripped from the game. This includes:
- 8 different music tracks (MODs)
- more than 80 ingame sounds
- all 114 levels
There also few restrictions of the Palm OS version:
- movement in the game can be controlled only by stylus, hardware buttons are not supported
- only low-resolution graphics is included, I think there isn’t Palm OS powered device with VGA resolution 480×480 or higher anyway